Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mostly Golan Heights

For the past 2 weeks we've had Hebrew lessons in the morning and then pretty free afternoons to roam the area (though there's not much to see in Ramla...) and 'study' or just hang out. So I've mainly been hanging out with the other kids on the program, making dinner, strolling the market, and anything else we can think of.

Last Monday, I went to Jaffa for the day which is GORGEOUS. But it's still kind of chilly here so the only other people around were American tour groups. There's an old church in the middle of Jaffa and they were in the middle of services as we walked by, so I actually went and sat in for a little bit. It was crazy to hear them singing and praying in Hebrew in a church - all these hymns that I didn't recognize, but it sounded like it could have been things we did in shul.
This is a 'hanging tree' in Jaffa...it's suspended by ropes and kind of bounces around if you push it (which it asks you not to do, so I didn't). But there's no explanation why it's there, and even though I stood behind a tour guide and tried to gleam the significance or just an explanation, all he said was "I'll let you all take photographs now."

One of the many old alleys leading around Jaffa. I have to go back when it's warmer out, there's supposed to be a lot more going on.


On Wednesday morning we met at the bus stop at 6am to go to the Golan for 2 days. I think it's the most stunning place I've ever been, you need google it if you haven't been because my pictures capture nothing. It was snowing on Mt. Hermon yet in the valley below it's lush and green and flowers are blooming, cows are roaming, it's crazy. We went to a couple different 'observation points' the first day (Gadot observation point and Mount Ben Tal view; the bus would basically drive us up incredibly windy, narrow roads then we'd get out and walk a couple hundred yards to a lookout) where you can see the divide between Israel, Lebanon and Syria and there are helicopters constantly flying above you and the military roads between the countries below. We also went on an AMAZING hike the first day: from the bus we descended into a mountain pass and got to climb through streams (I didn't fall in) and jump over rocks, it was so cool. Then you go back up the mountain and end up in a cave on top of a waterfall! We relaxed for a while, then went back down to the bottom of the waterfall just cause we could. And I don't know the name of the hike because I forget and I also write nothing down, but I asked our leader so hopefully she'll get back to me before I post this and look like a fool:

At Gadot observation point.

Some of the growth on our fabulous hike.

Getting lost.

The cave I was telling you about!

We spent the night at Kibbutz Hakuk where thy fed us and made a roaring bon fire then left us to our own devices. Day 2: another observation point then Cemetery of Kibbutz Kfar Giladi where our guide told us a story about a guy named Trumpledore - but all I could think about the whole time was whether or not he was related to Dumbledore. After that we went to the Hamat Gader hot springs which looked really cool, but in truth they're slimy so I hung out:

Hot springs - I don't regret it. They got out and had to drive 3 hours home on a bus slimy and smelling like sulfur.

Mount Ben Tal viewpoint post - showing you the way to all different places.

I went to Allan and co. for Friday night and then visited with Felicia and Lenny and family on Saturday and they are all wonderful! The first thing Lenny did when I walked in was usher me to his room to show me a picture of my mom at his wedding (she was about 5 and ADORABLE!!!) and kept telling me I look just like her. Can't wait to see them all again!

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post you've done so far. That's incredible about the picture of your mom, it sounds like something out of a movie -- maybe Leena from Sisterhood of the traveling pants.
    Anyways hope all is well and we'll skype soon :)

    ReplyDelete